Friday, September 8, 2017

Sketchy Art

Sketching, To Sketch: ..."a rough drawing" a gesture.

I generally have a little sketch pad with me in my handy little backpack/purse that goes with me almost everywhere. While I was at McDaniel College for Common Ground on the Hill I would attend the evening events, keynote speakers or concerts. Most of the time I sketch quick gestures. The amount of time depends on how many songs the musician plays, could be 3 minutes might have up to 8 minutes. These are gestures, done in very low light.

I do some of these quick sketches outside and did a few in the classroom. I pretty much will sketch any chance I get, tasting rooms, distilleries, botanical gardens are a favorite, wildlife rescues and on and on... You get the picture, sketch, gesture, draw, for practice and for relaxation. As you can see it only takes a few minutes.

I believe by sketching a little here and there it will improve you ability to draw. You will be able to translate what your eye sees to the pencil in your hand putting it to paper. I try to draw a little something every day, it doesn't always happen. If you give it a try at the end of a year, look over that sketchbook and you will see improvement.

Another reason I sketch is ideas. As we are on the road a lot, I will be inspired by something. I might see a tree, the shadows on the distant mountains, clouds, what ever it is might bring a thought for a future painting. I don't want to forgot what I saw and a camera may not catch the idea, the inspiration for a piece of art. I sketch what I think might be a painting and make notes, color references, time of year, and format size.

Here are some rough gesture sketches. For a little step by step sketch go to my FB page. http://www.facebook.com/LindaWildlifeArtist

reductive technique using graphite and eraser

evening concert sketch - 5-6 minutes

concert sketch 3-4 minutes

Sugar Distillery tasting room - 10 minutes 

summer pool party - 15 minutes





No comments:

Post a Comment