Thursday, September 7, 2017

Art Themes

Today's 30-30 post is my study drawing of #Raptors from the #CGOTH workshop held at #McDaniel #College, #Westminster, #MD. A study such as this one is not just one day of sketching but several. It started with live birds in the classroom. I work along with the students so they can watch over my shoulder what I am looking at and how I handle moving animals. Most of this was done over a 2 hour period. I did look at details from the photographs I took, adding corrections to the study. Even when I got back to AZ I did some adjustments. The sketch/study now becomes a working reference for not only myself but students. Looking at the details in the patterns of feathers. How the patterns change from the top of the head to those going down the back.

It helps to take a look at singular items, like the talon, eye, beak or single feather. Birds eyes are different even between raptor species. The bone structure of the head and eye sockets are created for day or night hunting. Do they fly fast, glide silently or use their talons as the main force in the hunt for food. All of these things Mother Nature has helped them develop over time for survival.

Doing studies will help you see the slight difference in the bone above the eye, the colors in wings, the direction feathers go along the face, head, or back. Here are a few different studies of raptors and feathers. Sometimes a study becomes a finish piece of art.








No comments:

Post a Comment