Friday, October 27, 2017

The Color Blue

One of my favorite colors is blue. Combine that with shades of sienna and it is my favorite combination of colors. Today's theme for #NationalArtsandHumanities month is: BLUE! My son, John, says I use too much blue. Too much may be a bit strong but I do use a lot of blue. I realize this when I had a solo art show years ago at The Artists Gallery in Frederick, MD. I did a lot of hand pulled print-making and apparently Indigo Blue was an ink I used a lot. I am sure as I go through my art files I will be able to find some examples of Blue Art.

The blue in the Arizona skies is one of those things that makes me happy. So, let's start there...

Here is the saguaro cactus in my backyard with early morning blue sky.

From my printmaking days I came across this reverse linoleum cut. Instead of printing it as a relief print, where the ink goes across the top. I treated it as an intaglio/etching style print and the ink was pushed into the carved areas.


These next two pieces are more current in style but still lots of blue. I have been doing mixed medium tree pieces for a few years now. There is an intense dark blue, close to phthalo blue watercolor crayon that I use to create the soft blurred and runny effects in these works. Pairing that blue with sienna just works.  
This work can be seen at Willow Oaks craft cider & wine, tasting room & art space in Middletown, MD


This work is available at the Matrix Gallery, Blacksburg, VA

Lastly I ran across this picture of me all in blue with beautiful blue sky behind me in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment