Thursday, October 12, 2017

Art in Zambia

Today's theme for National Arts and Humanities month is Art in Schools. You know this is something I am very passionate about. Not every school has the funds for art programs, visual, musical, or performance. Over the years I have done Artists In Residence Programs, via a grant program funded through National Endowment for the Arts, State and County Arts Council. The State & County receive funds from NEA towards these programs. I have enjoyed working with all styles of schools and every grade.

I had an opportunity a few years ago to go to Zambia. It was in hopes of creating a student study aboard program through VA Tech. I went as an independent artist, hoping to connect with local artist. My expectations, to teach recycled paper-making to artists. The experience was beyond anything I could have hoped.

As luck would have it while touring the University there was a meeting for artists to teach them about promoting their work. We were introduced and as I explained why I was there I had several artist and the Labor Council offer locations to make this happen.

Livingstone, Zambia, home to Victoria Falls, wild elephants roam the roads and the people touched my heart. I was able to work with over 30 local artists teaching them how to make art papers from recycled materials. We set up the workshop at Wayi Wayi Gallery. It was done outside with use of their water. We created the pulp without electricity using a mortar and pestle. A very large mortar and pestle.

My second opportunity came from one of the local villages, teaching to the students. We worked outside under a lovely, large tree. Again no electricity and they had to bring water to me in large containers. It started out with one class of students but grew very quickly. Best guess we had about 60 students making paper. It was an amazing and exhausting experiences. I left both the school and gallery with materials to continue making paper.

These are the moments, the opportunities in life that make me continue to believe that art touches all of our lives. It is one of those things that bring us together. I love to share my knowledge.and my passion for creating art inspired by nature.









No comments:

Post a Comment