Monday, October 30, 2017

Art Take Aways

What does this mean? For me, it is what I take away from an art experience. I recently went to Minnesota for a photography and art workshop with Jan Martin McGuire. We spent a couple of intense days taking reference pictures for future paintings. Plus, there was lectures, painting demonstrations and paint time.

I generally work in pastel but over the last few years have re-introduced oil paints and acrylics. There are plus and minuses to both. During the painting demonstration Jan showed techniques for working in acrylic paint; doing rocks, tree bark, grasses and under-painting. There was instruction on composition, using technology to help with layouts. All of these were great take aways.

Back in Arizona I had a painting that needed a rock. It is a oil painting that will go in a show in February. I decided since I had the under-painting for the rock and it was dry I could try the rock technique Jan showed the group. It worked very well, the down side, it needs to dry before adding shadows and other details.

While in Minnesota I had time to paint with Jan. We used that same type of technique to create a wood branch for a chipmunk to sit upon. The painting is in acrylic, waiting to be finished. It was good practice for the wood, the fur of the animal, in which I discovered a new brush (thank you Eric Rice for that lovely gift) and will try adding grasses in the background. This piece won't be for sale but it will be a reminder of the workshop and working with Jan on these take aways.

Here are a few photos from the workshop and Minnesota Wildlife Connection. Along with a couple detail shots of works in progress with fur, wood and rocks.

Take Away - Watching Jan Martin McGuire demonstration

Take Away - technique with new brush for fur

Take Away - technique to create bark on tree

Take Away - Wolf photos at Minnesota Wildlife Connection

Take Away - creating rock textures

No comments:

Post a Comment