Friday, June 22, 2018

Black & White

Starting with the basics, black and white. The workshops I teach start kind of at the beginning, looking for, contrast, the dark's and light's. How to deal with white or light on a dark surface and vise versa. In preparing for my demo's I make studies with step by step photos for future reference. The step by step will be posted in an album on Facebook, sometimes on YouTube. I'll keep you posted as to when they go up and where.

I have two black and white pieces on the drawing table at the moment. I have been wanting to do a magpie for some time now and thought it a good transition piece as the black and white bird has some lovely blues. This image will be used in the birds class, using a wet charcoal technique for the background.

The other image is on black paper. Using this process it helps to learn to look closely at what you are drawing/painting. Looking at the lights first and only drawing what you see, from there we will quickly move into toned paper. Toned paper helps to remove the fear of looking at a white piece of paper. Starting with a grey mid-tone, remove the highlights/light areas and finish the work using charcoal pencils to create the dark in the image. It always amazes me how a 3 tone image is so beautiful.

If you have questions about my workshops, want to set up private lessons, commissions or sale of my work, check out my website or email me. lindahp@lindaharrisonparsons.com
website: http://www.lindaharrisonparsons.com



No comments:

Post a Comment