Monday, April 23, 2018

Hide-N-Seek

Saturday I stopped by the Phoenix Zoo. I had been there about a month ago and saw that there were birds on nests and building nests. I wanted to see if I could find baby birds. Oh my! It was not the easiest photography I have done but it was worth the wait. There were lots of hide and seek moments. These birds are not part of the zoo's exhibits, they just happen to be passing through and thought those trees near water look like a good place to build a nest. I am not sure how many years they have been nesting there but will check again next year.

There were two different birds in this one tree: Snowy Egrets, many of them and a Black-Crowned Night-Heron with 2 babies. The heron was not making the egrets happy, which made it hard getting to those inside branches where the nest was hidden. The Snowy Egrets made their nests on the outer edges of the branches, still tucked in a bit but much more exposed.

If it had not been for the Heron jumping around, flying around, I would have missed the nest. The babies are brownish with a black mohawk. The nest is secured in the shadows of the branches. While Mom was slowly figuring out how to approach them without the egrets getting too upset I was able to get a few pictures of the babies. They made me smile and hope they do the same for you today.

The Snowy Egret babies were starting to try their wings. They are still a little bit from leaving the nests. It was kind of like watching a child take it's first steps. The wings would go up and out and they fell over on the branches.

I am planning to create a few new pieces from my photos. I am thinking the charcoal technique could be interesting or maybe a blue toned paper using the reductive process...who knows maybe there is an oil painting waiting to happen. Keep checking back to see what the future brings.

If you don't want to wait and you are in the area come on by next Saturday, April 28th 10-5 to the Verde Valley Birding Festival at Dead Horse Ranch State Park, Cottonwood, AZ.

Black Crowned Night Heron baby
Black Crowned Night Herons - can you find the second baby look lower right.

Black Crowned Night Heron

Hide & Seek...herons


Heron and egrets

Breakfast Time - Snowy Egrets

Mom & babe Snowy Egrets

Snowy Egret testing out those wings



No comments:

Post a Comment