Sunday, May 6, 2018

May-Day-May-Flowers-May-Babies

This morning started out with birds, and it just kept getting better. The hummingbirds that come to the backyard are fearless. They have come to the feeder before I get it hung. I thought they might be open to coming to one of the handheld feeders. I put it out on a table near one of the feeders last week. When I go out in the morning with my coffee I would put it on my hand. Yesterday, a female came to check it out and I am pretty sure it was the same female that came back this morning to give it a try.

Early this morning, Rick and I took a drive to see if we could find a baby great horned owl. The first location the nest was empty but the second spot, we found the baby. He/she appeared to still be sleepy and waiting for mom to come back with breakfast. We did not see mom but I did get some pictures of the owlet.

Continuing with our bird viewing this morning. Rick took me to a location where there are burrowing owls, no babies but they are small and cute. I got a few more pictures of the burrowing owls. They live underground and sometimes share their space with ground squirrels. These owls have long legs which make them look a little different. They also look at you very intently.

That completes our morning adventures and it is not even lunch time yet. It has been a pretty amazing day so far...will just have to see what this afternoon brings.

great horned owlet

burrowing owl

hummingbird


No comments:

Post a Comment