Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Art of Technology

This Thursday - Friday and Saturday I spent trying not to lose everything on my computer. I had some kind of corrupted file virus thing. I spent two of these days backing up files, the 100,000 pictures I have plus document files in hopes of now losing everything. I was able to do that. I tried to do the thing where you can set your computer to an earlier date/time but it would not let me. So, I got really upset at it and said okay let's just start all over...I found the recovery disk and did a clean wipe of my computer. I did get rid of the corrupted file thing and was able to restore my basic, very basic computer settings. I ran into a problem trying to connect to the internet. I was missing adapters. Hmm, I found a disk called Drivers and Adapters, so I gave it a shot. It was not working.

Rick came to my rescue and found a guy. I called this computer geek company and they came out Sat. what I did saved them a lot of time and work. Plus, as Rick was going through his files he found he had my drivers/adapters disk and I had his. If I had that maybe I would not have called the computer guy but I am happy I did. He got me back on line, all my files that I saved are there and he updated my system because Windows 7 is no longer supported, so I now have 8. My computer is too old for 10 but with all the new bells I should get through another year or two with this one.

As an artist being without a computer puts a stop to doing things like my blog, submitting to shows, printing out pictures for my workshop and creating a step by step demo sheet for my students. I have written the blog on my phone, not my favorite thing to do and I do have pictures of my art on my phone but they are at 72dpi not always what a submission for wants. We are back up and running, sometimes it is good to be a fearless artist.

The only thing I have discovered so far is I did not save a backup of my Photoshop program. I have my old Elements but with the move from VA to AZ I can't find the disk to reload or documentation if I did it as a download, very unlike me to not have one or the other. If anyone has a extra download of I think Photoshop CS1 and would let me download it in exchange for maybe a piece of my art work. I would be oh so happy to barter. If not I will work with what I have for the time being. To get in touch with me email please: lharrisonparsons@gmail.com

Art and technology do go hand in hand and this weekend made me so aware of how much I depend on my computer. Oh, just to let you know this all started trying to download the link to connect my new little printer that I got for my workshop. I was having problems so thought let me try Internet Explorer, as soon as I click on it to open it, pop up's started asking me to run or save programs by the thousands. The tech guy say Explorer is not a very safe server, tends to be subject to problems, just a FYI in case you use it over other servers.

What I use when I don't have a computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment